10 Must-See Museums for Architecture and Design Enthusiasts
Whether you’re seeking a little inspiration for your next project or just looking to admire the innovative details from the minds of world-renowned designers, these 10 museums are worth a visit.
Photo By: Maciej Lulko
Photo By: American Institute of Architects New York
Photo By: Susanna Lonrot
Photo By: Matti Ostling
Photo By: Roland Halbe
Photo By: Architecture and Design Museum of Los Angeles
Photo By: Bloomberg
Photo By: Museum aan de Stroom
Photo By: princigalli
Photo By: Museum of Design Atlanta
Museum of Architecture in Wroclaw
- This cathedral-turned-museum in Wroclaw, Poland hosts events for architects, historians and the community with the goal of protecting and revitalizing the architectural heritage of the city.
The American Institute of Architects New York
- Known for its architectural boat tours around Manhattan, the American Institute of Architects New York is the place to rub elbows with the best in the business. The chapter's members include more than 5,000 practicing architects, allied professionals, students, and public members interested in architecture and design.
Design Museum Helsinki
- This ultra-modern museum in Helsinki, Finland features a permanent collection devoted to the history of Finnish design as well as rotating exhibits covering industrial design, fashion and graphic design. One of the oldest of its kind, the museum was first founded in 1873, and in 1978, it began operating in its current building, a former school designed by architect Gustaf Nystrom in 1894 in the neo-Gothic style.
Swedish Centre for Architecture and Design
- ArkDes is a museum in Stockholm that bills itself as a "center for dialogue and debate about the future of architecture and the city." This playful space is great for the young and the young at heart.
Museum for Architectural Drawing
- This striking, large building in Berlin lives on the site of what was once a brewery. Galleries and restaurants have thrived there since the 90’s. Every intricate piece of the building was designed with intention.
Architecture and Design Museum of Los Angeles
- Located in the arts district in downtown LA, the Architecture and Design Museum of Los Angeles has a modern, industrial vibe. It also hosts public classes and family-friendly workshops on the weekends that kids love.
- This magnificent home, museum and library in-one has been preserved since architect Sir John Soane’s death, nearly 180 years ago. Full of artifacts, this stunning building is a work of art itself and stands apart from the contemporary styles of the other museums listed here.
Museum aan de Stroom
- This unique building was inspired by the 19th-century depots typical of the neighborhood. You’ll pass mosaics and galleries on your way to the top, where you’ll take in panoramic views of Antwerp. MAS contains floor after floor of collections that connect the city to the world.
The MAXXI Museum
- The futuristic feel of this museum in Rome, designed by Zaha Hadid, is palpable. Housing art and photography collections, 20th and 21st-century collections, as well as archives, it’s hard to know where to look first in this incredible space.
Museum of Design Atlanta
— The Museum of Design Atlanta, the only museum in the Southeast solely dedicated to design, serves to educate the community through design conversations, lectures and workshops.