Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
This vegetarian side dish is a tasty addition to your Thanksgiving table. Fiber-rich and packed with vitamins, health-conscious guests will dig right in.
This is a great vegetarian option for holiday meals. It's packed with flavor and makes for a gorgeous presentation. Acorn squash is readily available in the cooler months, and so rich and healthy that it's a perfect addition to your holiday table.
1 acorn squash
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
6 scallions, sliced thinly on a bias
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup shredded firm goat cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Slice the acorn squash in half, from the tip to the bottom. Using a spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the two pieces of squash on a baking sheet.
3. Divide the butter in half and place each pat of butter in the center of the squash. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the baking dish to ensure that the bottom of the squash doesn't burn.
5. Place the squash in the oven and let it roast for 60-70 minutes until the insides of the squash are fork tender.
6. In a large skillet, add the olive oil over medium high heat. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Add the scallions and stir together. Remove the skillet from heat.
7. Season the onion mixture with salt and pepper and add the cooked quinoa, shredded Parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Toss together and adjust seasoning as needed.
8. Place half of the quinoa mixture in each of the squash cavities. Sprinkle the shredded hard goat cheese on top.
9. Place the squash back into the oven for about 5 minutes, just until the goat cheese slightly melts.
10. Remove from oven and serve immediately.